Monday, July 20, 2009

Day Two And Going Strong!!

For breakfast, I had 3 scrambled eggs, a spoonful of almond butter, and a few blueberries. Eating the almond butter with the blueberries was quite tasty. The almond butter by itself could be a bit overwhelming. For lunch, Soupha made us pot-roast with cabbage, onions, and couple carrots. If it is super tasty, I'll post the recipe tonight. I had to get to work at 5am to get caught up, so I had a couple cups of black coffee. I'm trying to limit my coffee intake to 1 cup a day at most. So far, I feel really good. I'm really on my fourth day, and my energy level is at least normal. I'm nursing a hurt elbow from arm-wrestling fellow CrossFit Trainer Rich Vos (check out his blog here) at the CrossFit games so I am laying off any arm-intensive WOD's for a week. But when I start hitting it again hard next week, I'll find out just where my energy levels are.

Ok, so the pot-roast was lame. It was bland and dry. But the green chile and pork stew we had for dinner was awesome!


It reminded me of albondigas soup. It was flavorful, the pork was tender and juicy. Perhaps the acidity of the green chiles helped soften the meat. Whatever the case, it was a welcome delight after the disappointment of the pot roast.

Performance Update:
I did "Annie" tonight and set a PR at 7:54. I've been gunning for sub-8 on that one for a while. Situps have never been a strong movement for me. So I was pretty happy with that. Let's see if I continue to post PR's...

Green Chile Pork Stew

24 green chilies, fresh or canned
2 tablespoons canola oil
2 pounds of lean pork loin, trimmed of all visible fat
2 large yellow onions, finely chopped
3 minced garlic cloves
3 cups stewed fresh tomatoes
1 six-ounce can of salt free tomato paste
2 cups of water
½ teaspoon cumin
If chilies are fresh, parch and peel them, and remove the ribs, seeds and tops. In a large stew pot, heat canola oil and add pork cubes and sauté until lightly brown. Add onions and garlic and brown. Cut chilies into one inch slices and add to the pork and onions. Add remaining ingredients and cook about one hour until the stew is thickened. Adjust the seasonings to your pleasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment