Sunday, July 19, 2009

Going Strict Paleo for 30 days

I'm no stranger to restrictive diets. For 2 years, I ate a very strict vegan diet. I did feel a lot better eating that way. But I had some muscle atrophy. I found that I did really well at endurance-sports but started to lose strength, explosiveness, and power. Now, I'm going with a strict "Paleo" diet for the next 30 days. Strangely, although the Paleo diet includes meat, it is strikingly similar to the vegan diet. I know, I know, you think I'm crazy for saying such a thing. But hear me out. The Paleo diet excludes: gluten, dairy, and sugar. However, it includes (with a focus on): green veggies, meats, nuts, seeds, & fruits. If you are following the Paleo diet, you will not find yourself eating anything with an ingredient list printed on packaging. If you do, you probably aren't eating a Paleo meal. The Paleo diet is simple, natural, and summed up by many in the following statement: "Eat meats, veggies, nuts, and seeds, some fruit, little starch, and no sugar". I actually started my 30 days 2 days ago. But when my friend Greg learned what I was doing, he wanted in! So I will go 32 days. After that time, if the results are everything I dreamed they could be, I will continue the diet, but institute 1 "cheat day" every week. This will allow me to maintain my sanity in a western world full of delicious, yet unhealthy foods.

My wife, Soupha, is planning to mostly follow the diet as well. This is a good thing. We're going to attack this thing as a team. Over the next month, I will post the Paleo recipes that we liked. And if there are any profound changes in my body composition, I'll post that as well. And most importantly, if my energy level skyrockets and I shave significant amounts of time off some CrossFit benchmark WOD's, I'll chronicle that as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment